The results and discussion chapter of a research paper is where you present the findings of your study and interpret their meaning and significance. Here are some tips to help you write a successful results and discussion chapter:
- Present the results: In the results section, you should present the findings of your study in a clear, concise, and organized manner. This may include tables, graphs, or other visual aids to help illustrate your results. You should also describe the key findings of your study in detail, including any statistical analyses or tests that you conducted.
- Interpret the results: The discussion section is where you interpret the meaning and significance of your results. You should discuss the implications of your findings for the research question or hypothesis that you set out to investigate. You should also compare your results to the findings of other studies in the literature and explain any discrepancies or similarities.
- Discuss limitations and assumptions: In the discussion section, it is important to discuss the limitations and assumptions of your study. You should address any potential sources of bias or error in your results and explain how these limitations may affect the interpretation of your findings.
- Offer conclusions and recommendations: The discussion section should also include a conclusion that summarizes the key findings of your study and offers recommendations for future research. You should also discuss the practical implications of your findings and how they can be applied in a real-world setting.
- Use clear and concise language: The results and discussion section should be written in clear and concise language. You should avoid technical jargon and use plain language wherever possible. You should also use subheadings to break up the section into manageable sections and make it easier to follow.
- Follow a logical structure: The results and discussion section should follow a logical structure that is easy for the reader to follow. You should start with an introduction that sets the context for your study and explains the purpose of the results and discussion section. The main body of the section should present the results and discuss their meaning and significance, and the conclusion should summarize the key findings of the study and offer recommendations for future research.
In conclusion, writing the results and discussion chapter of a research paper is a critical step in the research process. By following these tips and taking the time to present your results in a clear and organized manner, interpret their meaning and significance, and offer conclusions and recommendations, you can ensure that your results and discussion chapter is well-written and effective.